Earlier today I pulled our first cucumber out of the garden along with spearmint, sage, and some basil flowers. I started thinking about making a really yummy salad. Here is a recipe to one of the salads I will be making.
Cucumber Tomato and Red Onion Salad with Mint
YIELD Serves 6
- 2 large English hothouse cucumbers (you can use other varieties of cucumbers just check for bitterness as some tend to be a little bitter in taste.
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 large tomatoes, seeded, coarsely chopped
- 2/3 cup coarsely chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Start by washing and cutting your cucumbers in half lengthwise. It is optional to remove or leave seeds inside. I prefer to leave the seeds inside mine.
- Cut cucumber halves diagonally in 1/2-inch-wide pieces.
- In a large bowl add vinegar, sugar and salt. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Combine tomatoes, red onions, mint (or basil if you are not a mint person) and olive oil to cucumbers.
- Toss in seasoning
- Add salt and pepper to taste
*One 11-ounce (300-gram) unpeeled, raw cucumber contains the following
- Calories: 45
- Total fat: 0 grams
- Carbs: 11 grams
- Protein: 2 grams
- Fiber: 2 grams
- Vitamin C: 14% of the RDI
- Vitamin K: 62% of the RDI
- Magnesium: 10% of the RDI
- Potassium: 13% of the RDI
- Manganese: 12% of the RDI