Frankincense has been used for literally thousands of years. From beauty products to embalming uses to healing of skin. Not to mention it also being used to cleanse the air of sickness and disease. Together with myrrh the aroma could be used to cover the smell of death and so was used in burying practices that date back as far as the egyptians .
There are so many benefits and uses for frankincense its properties include being antiseptic, expectorant, disinfectant, and a sedative just to name a few. The oil is also great for the immune system and is great to have on hand before cold and flu seasons start. The oil can also be used on the skin to help heal and fade scars. It has also been used to treat ulcers, hypertension, nausea and fevers.
Here are a few ways that you can use frankincense in your day to day health and beauty routines.
You can place a few drops of this oil in your bath water or in your shampoo or body wash. When using essential oils in bath water remember that oil and water do not mix so the oil will set on the surface of the water. I recommend mixing a 3-5 drops (depending on your skin sensitivity) in a carrier oil like sweet almond oil. This will dilute the potency as it comes in contact with your skin. You can also place it in your body scrubs and washes. If you make your own body scrubs you can add a few drops to the mix. Here is a body scrub you can try.
3/4 cup Raw Sugar
1/4 Raw Sugar
up to 1/8 Sweet almond oil or Coconut Oil
5 drops of Frankincense DoTerra Essential Oil
2 drops of Wild Orange DoTerra Essential Oil
Mix the sugar together in a bowl and add your carrier oil. Last add your essential oil drops.
Face CareAs mentioned before frankincense is wonderful for a vast variety of skin related issues. You can use the oil with a carrier oil to help old scars fade and help new cuts heal properly. Below are a few ways you can use this oil for your face
Face Serum .
- 2 ounces argan oil or sweet almond oil.
- 4 drops of frankincense essential oil,
- 3 drops of lavender essential oil
- 3 drops of geranium essential oil
Combine in an amber glass jar or bottle. Shake well. You will only need 2-3 drops of this. Work gently into face.If you have sensitive skin check on a small area of skin first.
- 1 ounce of grapeseed oil/ Sweet almond oil, or your own face moisturizer
- 4-6 drops of frankincense essential oil
- Mix and store in a dark amber glass bottle
- 1 ounce of water in a glass squirt bottle
- Add 6 drops of frankincense oil per 1 ounce of water (you can always double this for larger a lager batch.)
- Add 3 drops of vodka to prevent separation (optional)
- Shake well before each use
- Spray onto face or body