Tag: spice tea
How to Make Chai Tea
Chai tea is a traditional Indian tea made with milk, water and a blend of black tea, ginger and other spices which may include cardamom, cinnamon, fennel, black pepper,cloves, star anise, coriander seeds and peppercorns. It can be consumed hot or cold and may provide a variety of health benefits. Here is a recipe you may enjoy.
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 whole peppercorns
- 4 tea bags
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 2-1/2 cups boiling water
- 2 cups milk
- In a large bowl crush cloves and peppercorns.
- Crush your spices until their aromas are released.
- Add tea bags, sugar, ginger, cinnamon stick to boiling water.
- Cover and steep for 6 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, heat milk.
- Strain tea, toss spices and tea bags.
- Stir in hot milk.
- Pour into cups.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 92 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 49mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein.Originally published as Indian Chai in Country Woman Christmas 2010
Haitian Ginger Tea (Te Jenjanm)
Makes: 6 cups tea
6 cups water
Fresh ginger, peel and grate
1 stalk lemongrass, take the outer dry leaves off and trim top & bottom
2-4 star anise pods
1 cinnamon stick
Honey/ Brown sugar, to taste
How to Make
Heat water on medium add ginger, lemongrass, star anise, and cinnamon stick as water is heating.
Bring tea to a boil then reduce heat and let simmer for 10 minutes.
Simmer it longer for stronger taste
Strain tea into cups add honey or brown sugar to taste.